History of the church of Jászfényszaru
Jászfényszaru is located in the western part of the territory of Jászság, some 60 km eastwards from Budapest, giving home to about 5800 people. Its first written mention dates to 1433. In the period of Turkish occupation (after 1541) the town was ruined, but it has been rebuilt in 1631.
Our parish church is located in the center, being the oldest building in the town. It is more than 600 years old and has been built in gothic style. In the Turkish period this edifice has also been ruined. In 1631 the citizens started the reconstruction and finished in 1702, already in baroque style. In 1759 our community built an additional nave to our church, also in baroque style. Furthermore the tower itself was built in 1768 in the same style.
The interior of the church is also remarkable: The organ and the pulpit were made in 1785 in late baroque style. The frescos were painted in a modern style after almost 200 years, in 1964.
Seven altars can be found in the church: the two high altars, the Saint Joseph, Virgin Mary, Saint John of Nepomuk, Pieta and a little altar in the chapel. The main altarpiece represents the All Saints, from top to bottom: the Holy Trinity, Virgin Mary with angels and numerous saints (e.g. King Saint Stephan, King Saint Ladislaus, Saint Gellért, Saint John of Nepomuk, Saint Peter and Saint Paul).
Accordingly, our church is dedicated to the All Saints. Therefore the church’s patronal festival is on the 1st of November.
In the last decades the church was almost completely renovated. The painting has been renewed in 1998.
In the apse, above the high altar can be found our treasure: a copy of the Madonna of Vranov. Probably one of our priests or pilgrims had bought this painting and brought it to Jászfényszaru in the 18th century. The painter is unknown, but it is definitely a masterpiece. This painting was limned after 1718, in the middle of the 18th century. The painter wanted to show all the treasures offered to the Holy Virgin of Vranov. So in our painting 21 items can be found: 2 golden crowns, 2 golden coins, a golden eye, a decorative golden dress hook, a silver heart with two arrows, an octagonal silver object, a golden cross, an unidentifiable textile item, and 11 necklaces made of gold, pearls and enamel. Lower on the painting a Latin sentence can be read:
VERA EFFİGİES MIRACULOSÆ B. MARİÆ VİRGİNİS VARANOVİENSİS:SUB. CURA R. R. P P[?]PAULİNORUM QVÆ A 1708. 27 AUGUSTİ FLEVITİN DOMO BERCSENYIANA ATTİGİT ORİGİNALE
“True copy of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Vranov, who wept on the 27th of August in 1708 caring the blessed Pauline Fathers. In original was in the Bercsényi's house.”
Kristóf Vince FARKAS